Ukraine, Russia to hold talks on fate of Ukrainian fisherman
The Ukrainian and Russian consular services will hold consultations in Moscow on September 12-13 regarding the fate of Ukrainian fisherman Oleksandr Fedorovych, who survived an incident with Russian border guards in the Azov Sea.
Director of the Information Policy Department of the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry Yevhen Perebyinis said this at a briefing in Kyiv on Tuesday, a Ukrinform correspondent reported.
"Pursuant to the agreement reached by the foreign ministers of Ukraine and Russia, consultations will be held in Moscow on September 12-13 at the level of the directors of the consular services of the foreign ministries of the two countries, during which one of the main issues will be the discussion of the mentioned issue [regarding the situation with Fedorovych]," he said.
He said that Fedorovych was currently at liberty in the city of Yeysk. "The key task is to change the measure of restraint - a travel ban, as well as to ensure his speedy return home," the diplomat said.
As reported, Fedorovych is a fisherman who survived the collision of a Ukrainian fishing vessel with a Russian coast guard motorboat in the Azov Sea on July 17, in which four Ukrainians were killed. He said at a meeting with Ukraine's consul that the Russians had deliberately rammed the vessel with Ukrainian fishermen, and a video that actually proves his words later appeared on the Internet.
More on the topic
- 19.12.2013 Two injured in dust explosion at Novosrossiysk Grain Terminal
- 07.11.2013 Russia agrees to refer Fedorovych case to Ukraine
- 30.10.2013 Vessels having collided in Kiel Canal had crew members of Russian and Ukrainian nationalities
- 01.10.2013 Russia refuses to release Ukrainian fisherman Fedorovych on bail
- 12.08.2013 Sailors from MAXIMA ship return to Ukraine
- 31.07.2013 A foreign bulker allides with quay wall in Novorossiysk port
- 31.07.2013 Chemical tanker Meteora aground off Dardanelles, Aegean sea
- 23.07.2013 Ukrainian ship Etel seized in Bengazi by armed brigands claiming political motivation - photos and maps
- 23.07.2013 Product tanker Aegean Rose damaged in allision, Aspropyrgos, Greece
- 19.07.2013 Ukraine sends note to Russia demanding joint probe into death of Ukrainian sailors in Azov Sea
- 18.07.2013 Russian Border Service boat sank a Ukrainian fishing longboat after pursuit in the Azov Sea – there are several dead victims / Map
- 17.07.2013 Blazing сontainer ship Hansa Brandenburg abandoned and adrift, crew rescued