Russia refuses to release Ukrainian fisherman Fedorovych on bail
Russia has refused to satisfy the request to change the measure of restraint for Ukrainian fisherman Oleksandr Fedorovych, who is on a travel ban in Russia and is charged with poaching.
Director of the Information Policy Department of the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry Yevhen Perebyinis said this at a briefing in Kyiv on Tuesday, a Ukrinform correspondent reported.
"Our consulate general has received information from the investigator about the rejection of the request of our consul to change the measure of restraint for Fedorovych, namely releasing him on bail," he said.
Perebyinis also added that the case was at the stage of additional investigation. He said that the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry was providing financial assistance to the Ukrainian for his accommodation in Yeysk.
"It is planned that financial assistance will again be provided to Fedorovych to pay for his stay in Yeysk," he said.
The diplomat said that the issue concerns small amounts, but this allows the Ukrainian stay at the place of his residence in Yeysk.
Moreover, according to Perebyinis, the Foreign Ministry is working to resolve the issue of the Ukrainian fisherman. In particular, an employee of Ukraine's consulate in Rostov-on-Don arrived in Yeysk on Monday to hold another meeting with Fedorovych and his lawyer. The question of the fisherman's return to Ukraine will also be raised during subsequent high-level contacts with Russia.
As reported, Fedorovych is a fisherman who survived the collision of a Ukrainian fishing vessel with a Russian coast guard motorboat in the Azov Sea on July 17, in which four Ukrainians were killed. He said at a meeting with Ukraine's consul that the Russians had deliberately rammed the vessel with Ukrainian fishermen, and a video that actually proves his words later appeared on the Internet.
More on the topic
- 19.12.2013 Two injured in dust explosion at Novosrossiysk Grain Terminal
- 07.11.2013 Russia agrees to refer Fedorovych case to Ukraine
- 30.10.2013 Vessels having collided in Kiel Canal had crew members of Russian and Ukrainian nationalities
- 12.09.2013 Ukraine, Russia to hold talks on fate of Ukrainian fisherman
- 12.08.2013 Sailors from MAXIMA ship return to Ukraine
- 31.07.2013 A foreign bulker allides with quay wall in Novorossiysk port
- 31.07.2013 Chemical tanker Meteora aground off Dardanelles, Aegean sea
- 23.07.2013 Ukrainian ship Etel seized in Bengazi by armed brigands claiming political motivation - photos and maps
- 23.07.2013 Product tanker Aegean Rose damaged in allision, Aspropyrgos, Greece
- 19.07.2013 Ukraine sends note to Russia demanding joint probe into death of Ukrainian sailors in Azov Sea
- 18.07.2013 Russian Border Service boat sank a Ukrainian fishing longboat after pursuit in the Azov Sea – there are several dead victims / Map
- 17.07.2013 Blazing сontainer ship Hansa Brandenburg abandoned and adrift, crew rescued