As low temperatures settle in, work kicks off on Romania’s famous Ice Hotel
Work recently started at the famous Ice Hotel at Balea Lake in Romania, where seven workers have begun work on the hotel. The number of workers will increase over the coming days, when they will start to cut over 10,000 blocks of ice that will build the hotel.
The hotel, with 12 double rooms – similar to last year – is already booked for the Christmas and New Year’s Eve. Most of the clients are foreigners, coming mainly from the UK. The first reservations for the hotel started coming as early as last summer.
The only Ice Hotel in Southeast Europe will mark its eighth season in the winter 2012/13. «The hotel is built like in previous years, near the cable car station. Apart from the actual hotel, we will again raise a so-called satellite, consisting of three separate igloos connected with a central entrance,» according to the developers. Check work status via this webcam.
A double room at the hotel will cost RON 300 (or some EUR 66) per night. In January, the hotel will be accompanied by an ice church which will be built in the meantime, and where religious ceremonies are usually performed.
Balea lake is located at an altitude of 2,034 meters, in the Fagaras mountains, and is accessible by car via the famous mountain road Transfagarasan. The ice hotel itself can only be accessed via cable car.
The lake is known for the chalet on its banks, mirrored during summer on its clear waters.
Each winter, once the Balea Lake freezes over, the locals cut and drag blocks of the icy lake to the location of the hotel.
Temperatures in the Ice Hotel are typically between -2 and +2°C. The hotel staff offer bedding, extra furs, and specialist sleeping bags, to keep guests snug and warm.
Adapted from Romania-insider
More on the topic
- 01.11.2013 Romanian tourism to be promoted at Tom Jones concert and at international and local rallies on EUR 1.5 mln budget
- 16.09.2013 Romania’s mountain resort Sinaia revamped with EUR 20 million
- 03.09.2013 As many as 25,000 tourists visit Rupea Fortress since its June re-opening / Photos
- 29.08.2013 Jan - July Danube Delta visitor numbers at least 10 pct higher from last year
- 23.07.2013 Daring Romanian overcomes his fears in 7-month kayak trip from Giurgiu to Venice / Photo
- 18.06.2013 Romanian wine maker Domeniile Ostrov to invest EUR 4 mln this year in wine tourism facilities / PHOTOS
- 21.11.2012 Romania presented a cultural and educational tourism program
- 19.11.2012 German tour operator will promote tourism in the Danube Delta
- 15.11.2012 Romania’s cultural heritage goes online via virtual tours website
- 02.11.2012 Over 6.6 million foreign tourists come to Romania, in first nine months
- 31.10.2012 Medical tourism share in Romania doubled over the last 3 years
- 23.10.2012 “Romanian Railways” State Enterprise launched charter train ordering function