Russia, Ukraine not negotiating consortium to manage GTS - Gazprom CEO
Gazprom and Ukraine are not in talks to create a consortium for the management of the gas transportation system, as there are no changes in the Ukrainian legislation.
This was stated by the head of the Russian gas giant, Alexey Miller, RIA Novosti reported.
"Today, no negotiations are conducted on a consortium, because it is necessary to amend Ukraine's legislation, which has not been done," he said at a news conference.
As reported, on April 26, the Verkhovna Rada registered Bill 2937 on amendments to certain legislative acts of Ukraine in order to reform the national joint stock company Naftogaz of Ukraine. The bill proposes that the ban on privatization of trunk gas pipelines be withdrawn from the legislation.
Kyiv has repeatedly offered setting up a consortium to manage the Ukrainian gas transportation system in a trilateral format, with the participation of Europe and Russia.
According to the Minister of Energy and Coal Industry of Ukraine, Eduard Stavytsky, the question of the format in which a consortium to manage the Ukrainian gas transportation system should be created will be settled by the end of 2013, after making all the necessary changes to the legislation.
At the same time, as stated by Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych, during the negotiations on the gas issue at any level, Kyiv has never advocated privatization of its gas transportation system.
According to him, today work is underway with the GTS on its modernization. Yanukovych noted that modernization of the system is aimed primarily at supporting its technical reliability, as well as preserving certain volumes of gas pumping.
According to the head of state, this can be achieved by bringing together the efforts of consumers, carriers and suppliers of gas. "Today there is a great desire to create the consortium Ukraine-Europe-Russia," the president said.
Adapted from Ukrinform
More on the topic
- 18.12.2013 Russia cuts gas price for Ukraine to $268.5 per 1,000 cubic meters
- 25.11.2013 Gazprom not revising gas contract with Ukraine
- 11.11.2013 Naftogaz stops gas purchases from Gazprom, media reports say
- 30.10.2013 Ukraine's EU integration will make Gazprom's participation in GTS consortium impossible
- 04.10.2013 Russian natural gas for Ukraine to cost about $410 in Q4, 2013
- 03.09.2013 Naftogaz planning to cut Russia gas purchase to 18 billion cu m in 2014
- 29.08.2013 Boiko, Miller agree on gas transit
- 02.08.2013 Naftogaz to pump up to 2.5 billion cubic meters of Russian gas in August
- 01.07.2013 Gazprom unwilling to store gas in Ukraine - Miller
- 26.06.2013 Russia blocking gas supply from Slovakia - energy ministry
- 25.06.2013 “Gazprom” plans natural gas supplies to Ukraine from Slovakia
- 05.11.2012 Rejection of Russian gas will cost Ukraine 207 billion dollars