“Gazprom” plans natural gas supplies to Ukraine from Slovakia
“Gazprom’s” contract with “Naftogaz” allows Russians to actually manage the Ukrainian gas-transport system up to the European borders, combining the positions of the gas seller and transporter (network operator).
Ukraine currently imports gas from the territory of Poland and Hungary, since it controls the gas-transport system at these zones by itself. German RWE cannot start gas delivery via the Slovakian territory not due to absence of technical capabilities, but due to Russian “Gazprom”, which actually blocks the supply, refusing to agree upon the request for gas transportation to Ukraine (reverse).
“Gazprom” has such a possibility according to its contract with “Naftogaz”, dated 19.01.2009, which has provided for the right of the Russian monopolist to perform the functions of the Ukrainian gas-transport system operator at this segment up to the EU borders.
English translation by BSN
More on the topic
- 18.12.2013 Russia cuts gas price for Ukraine to $268.5 per 1,000 cubic meters
- 25.11.2013 Gazprom not revising gas contract with Ukraine
- 11.11.2013 Naftogaz stops gas purchases from Gazprom, media reports say
- 30.10.2013 Ukraine's EU integration will make Gazprom's participation in GTS consortium impossible
- 04.10.2013 Russian natural gas for Ukraine to cost about $410 in Q4, 2013
- 03.09.2013 Naftogaz planning to cut Russia gas purchase to 18 billion cu m in 2014
- 29.08.2013 Boiko, Miller agree on gas transit
- 02.08.2013 Naftogaz to pump up to 2.5 billion cubic meters of Russian gas in August
- 02.07.2013 Russia, Ukraine not negotiating consortium to manage GTS - Gazprom CEO
- 01.07.2013 Gazprom unwilling to store gas in Ukraine - Miller
- 26.06.2013 Russia blocking gas supply from Slovakia - energy ministry
- 05.11.2012 Rejection of Russian gas will cost Ukraine 207 billion dollars