Rejection of Russian gas will cost Ukraine 207 billion dollars
The International Energy Agency (IEA) has prepared a report which Ukraine has a chance at energy independence and rejection of Russian gas in 2030, if we can attract 207 billion dollars., According to «Kommersant-Ukraine» with reference to the Financial Times.
The report of the IEA said that high energy prices and the biggest problem is the balance of payments of Ukraine: the country is paying an annual $ 12 billion. for Russian fuel, forcing authorities to seek a solution.
Abandoning Russian gas may be due to increase energy efficiency. Even Russian industry consumes 45% less fuel per unit of heat and energy than Ukrainian. In the EU, this figure is 80% lower. In addition, Ukraine has to build its own gas production, which would require 4.3 billion investment each year until 2030 This package will allow the country to 2030, not only refuse to import gas, but also export it to Eastern Europe, notes the IEA.
These measures have already declared in Ukraine's Energy Strategy until 2030 document provides for an increase in annual gas production to 44.4 billion cubic meters. m and a decrease in imports to 5 billion cubic meters. However, just for the program incorporated two times less than estimated by the IEA - to $ 100 billion.
In the Energy Ministry refused to comment the findings of IEA. But a source in the ministry calls this estimate too high. «In the first 9 months (2012), we have reduced the consumption of gas by 2.9 billion cubic meters, and built up its production to 150 million cubic meters. This took a total of about $ 1 billion., - Said the source publication. - Clearly that the further the more expensive will be cost savings and increased production, but also such amounts, as they say in the IEA, can not be talked. »
Adapted from UNN
More on the topic
- 18.12.2013 Russia cuts gas price for Ukraine to $268.5 per 1,000 cubic meters
- 25.11.2013 Gazprom not revising gas contract with Ukraine
- 11.11.2013 Naftogaz stops gas purchases from Gazprom, media reports say
- 30.10.2013 Ukraine's EU integration will make Gazprom's participation in GTS consortium impossible
- 04.10.2013 Russian natural gas for Ukraine to cost about $410 in Q4, 2013
- 03.09.2013 Naftogaz planning to cut Russia gas purchase to 18 billion cu m in 2014
- 29.08.2013 Boiko, Miller agree on gas transit
- 02.08.2013 Naftogaz to pump up to 2.5 billion cubic meters of Russian gas in August
- 02.07.2013 Russia, Ukraine not negotiating consortium to manage GTS - Gazprom CEO
- 01.07.2013 Gazprom unwilling to store gas in Ukraine - Miller
- 26.06.2013 Russia blocking gas supply from Slovakia - energy ministry
- 25.06.2013 “Gazprom” plans natural gas supplies to Ukraine from Slovakia