Ukraine's EU integration will make Gazprom's participation in GTS consortium impossible
The signing by Ukraine of an Association Agreement with the European Union closes the opportunity for Russia's Gazprom to participate in a gas transportation consortium.
Russian Presidential Advisor Sergei Glazyev said this in an interview with the Rossiya 24 television channel.
"If Ukraine enters into association with the EU and sets out its commitments to the Energy Community, Gazprom will simply have no interest in participating in any scheme of joint investment with Ukraine. The gas transportation consortium is now impossible, because in this case Gazprom, a consortium member, will be unable to deliver its own gas. That is, Ukraine's involvement in the European Energy Community denies Gazprom the possibility of being a gas transportation consortium member and a gas supplier at the same time," Glazyev said.
He said that the agreement with the EU had obliged Ukraine to comply with European principles of regulation in the energy sector - the so-called "third energy package," which envisages a ban on the affiliation of companies engaged in the extraction, transportation and sale of natural gas.
Glazyev said that the Russian side had repeatedly proposed that Ukrainian colleagues refuse to participate in the Energy Community with the EU.
As reported, Ukraine intends to sign an association and free trade agreement with the European Union at the Eastern Partnership summit in Vilnius on November 28.
Adapted from ukrinform
More on the topic
- 18.12.2013 Russia cuts gas price for Ukraine to $268.5 per 1,000 cubic meters
- 25.11.2013 Gazprom not revising gas contract with Ukraine
- 11.11.2013 Naftogaz stops gas purchases from Gazprom, media reports say
- 04.10.2013 Russian natural gas for Ukraine to cost about $410 in Q4, 2013
- 03.09.2013 Naftogaz planning to cut Russia gas purchase to 18 billion cu m in 2014
- 29.08.2013 Boiko, Miller agree on gas transit
- 02.08.2013 Naftogaz to pump up to 2.5 billion cubic meters of Russian gas in August
- 02.07.2013 Russia, Ukraine not negotiating consortium to manage GTS - Gazprom CEO
- 01.07.2013 Gazprom unwilling to store gas in Ukraine - Miller
- 26.06.2013 Russia blocking gas supply from Slovakia - energy ministry
- 25.06.2013 “Gazprom” plans natural gas supplies to Ukraine from Slovakia
- 05.11.2012 Rejection of Russian gas will cost Ukraine 207 billion dollars