EU gives Moldova 15-million-euros instalment
The European Union provides Moldova with the first 15-million-euros instalment of the overall 60 million, to continue the reforms in the justice sector.
At a news briefing December 23, Justice Minister Oleg Efrim said that the providing of the first instalment meant that Moldova had met the conditions assumed in the context of its relations with the EU. Efrim added that Moldova currently was making efforts to meet the conditions for receiving the second instalment.
Head of the European Union Delegation to Moldova Pirkka Tapiola said that Moldova’s political will had prompted the European authorities to support Moldova. Tapiola stressed that the other three instalments of the budgetary support amounting to 60 million euros would be given by 2016. Their value will vary depending on the extent to which Moldova fulfils its commitments. The European official noted that, in 2014, the EU would initiate several technical assistance projects for the justice sector.
The EU budgetary support was provided due to the fact that Moldova had adopted the - Justice Sector Reform Strategy for 2011-2016. Moreover, the mechanism for coordinating and monitoring the implementation of the Strategy was created, the normative acts needed for the implementation of the Law on ensuring equality were passed, including through the creation of the council for the prevention and elimination of discrimination and ensuring equality.
Adapted from Moldpres
More on the topic
- 24.12.2013 Moldovan top court to receive large grant
- 27.11.2013 Ukraine’s position will not tell in whatever way on the European Union’s relations with Moldova
- 14.11.2013 Moldovan autonomous region’s governor meets OSCE delegation
- 08.11.2013 Romania reaffirms Moldova’s support to initial, sign association agreement
- 06.11.2013 Moldova-EU association agreement likely to be signed by late August 2014
- 14.10.2013 Moldovan fruit producers to receive EU assistance
- 07.10.2013 Moldovan PM, top bank representative address assistance, projects
- 04.10.2013 PACE to continue monitoring of Mldova
- 02.10.2013 Monitoring report on Moldova to be presented at PACE’s autumn session
- 17.09.2013 Transnistria dislikes draft of PACE resolution on Moldova
- 12.09.2013 European top banks to financially back Moldovan railway enterprise
- 12.09.2013 EU to financially support Moldova to meet prerequisites for signing association agreement