European top banks to financially back Moldovan railway enterprise
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) and the European Investment Bank (EIB) will financially support the modernization of the Moldovan Railway state-owned enterprise (CFM) by providing about 50 million euros.
The Transport and Road Infrastructure Ministry’s press service has reported that the EBRD would give 25 million euros for co-financing a project on modernising trains and locomotives. The EIB will provide 25 million euros for another project designed for the rehabilitation of the railway infrastructure. As a result, the travel conditions for passengers will improve, and the traffic speed of trains will increase.
“The CFM started a large-scale reorganisation, the aim of which is to have an up-to-date railway system in Moldova. We want to create better conditions for the transportation of goods and passengers, as well as for the attraction of railway transit flow,” Transport and Road Infrastructure Minister Vasile Botnari said at a meeting with bankers.
The CFM is to be reorganized into three trade units – passenger transport, freight transport and railway infrastructure.
Adapted from moldpres
More on the topic
- 27.12.2013 EU gives Moldova 15-million-euros instalment
- 24.12.2013 Moldovan top court to receive large grant
- 27.11.2013 Ukraine’s position will not tell in whatever way on the European Union’s relations with Moldova
- 14.11.2013 Moldovan autonomous region’s governor meets OSCE delegation
- 08.11.2013 Romania reaffirms Moldova’s support to initial, sign association agreement
- 06.11.2013 Moldova-EU association agreement likely to be signed by late August 2014
- 14.10.2013 Moldovan fruit producers to receive EU assistance
- 07.10.2013 Moldovan PM, top bank representative address assistance, projects
- 04.10.2013 PACE to continue monitoring of Mldova
- 02.10.2013 Monitoring report on Moldova to be presented at PACE’s autumn session
- 17.09.2013 Transnistria dislikes draft of PACE resolution on Moldova
- 12.09.2013 EU to financially support Moldova to meet prerequisites for signing association agreement