Turkish Patriots detected 300 Syrian missile fires so far
Patriot air defence system deployed in Turkey's south eastern province of Kahramanmaras detected about 300 missile fires in Syria so far.
Patriot air defence system was set up in Gazi Barracks upon Turkey's demand from NATO against any potential attacks from Syria and it has been active for six months now. As well as the system, German, Dutch and Danish troops also take duty in the barracks in Kahramanmaras. Radars based in focus points of the barracks track the Syrian air space 24 hours a day.
Colonel Bernd Stockmann succeeded Colonel Marcus Ellermann as the commander of the German military unit for Patriot systems in Turkey, and began to serve on July 12.
Speaking to Anadolu Agency, Colonel Stockmann said the system was working perfectly and added that they were tracking the Syrian air activity by the radio detection and ranging.
"The system has been active for about six months and we have detected 300 missile fires from Syria so far. Our troops watch the air activity nonstop in front of the monitors 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. All precautions are taken in the case of a ballistic missile being fired," said colonel.
He added that he would serve for six months in Kahramanmaras, Turkey.
Bernd Stockmann emphasized that they were aware of the sensitivity of their duty and noted, "Our troops work with such high motivation. We are here for friendship and brotherhood. We get well with Turkish troops too."
Adapred from Anadolu
More on the topic
- 17.09.2013 Deputy PM: Turkish warplanes shoot down Syrian helicopter
- 06.09.2013 Turkey boosts forces on Syrian border
- 05.09.2013 Erdogan: Turkey ready to be part of any coalition to intervene Syria
- 03.09.2013 Turkey keeps forces on high alert on Syrian border
- 02.09.2013 Hikmet Cetin: "Turkey should not take part in military operations against Syria"
- 27.08.2013 Turkish base Injirlik can be used in military campaign against Syria claims paper
- 16.07.2013 Turkey rejects Israel jets used Turkish base for Syria airstrike
- 26.06.2013 Turkey digs moats on Syrian border
- 27.05.2013 Security wall to be built on Turkey’s Syrian border
- 15.02.2013 Turkey responds to mortar shell from Syria
- 16.01.2013 Syria accuses Turkey of terrorism and theft
- 15.11.2012 Turkey warns against Syria chemical arms