CoE secretary general goes to Kyiv to find a way out of crisis
Secretary General of the Council of Europe Thorbjorn Jagland will visit Kyiv to try to hold negotiations to reduce tensions in Ukraine, the Council of Europe's press service has told Ukrinform.
"Council of Europe Secretary General Jagland travels to Kyiv today for meetings tomorrow with the leaders of the parliamentary parties, the prime minister and the foreign minister," reads the statement.
The meetings will take place on Wednesday, December 4. The secretary general's offer of assistance received a positive response from all sides concerned.
According to the statement, "the aim of the visit is to try to reduce tensions in Ukraine, a member state of the Council of Europe, and to see if a dialogue is possible with a view to finding a political solution to the crisis."
More on the topic
- 09.01.2014 Azarov orders Boiko to analyze outcome from creating FTA with EU
- 25.12.2013 Ukraine now in better conditions than before Vilnius summit – Kozhara
- 29.11.2013 Ukraine, EU initial Air Services Agreement
- 28.11.2013 Breakdown of Ukraine-EU association could benefit China – Forbes
- 27.11.2013 Azarov: President to discuss Ukraine-Russia-EU consultations in Vilnius
- 26.11.2013 Yanukovych plans to attend summit in Vilnius
- 22.11.2013 Ukrainian government suspends preparations for signature of association deal with EU
- 02.10.2013 Russia pushes EU to signing Association Agreement with Ukraine - Chaly
- 27.09.2013 Azarov proposes trilateral talks between EU, Ukraine and Customs Union on Association Agreement
- 18.09.2013 PM Azarov: Association Agreement provides for its periodic revision
- 05.09.2013 Ukrainian Cabinet to consider Association Agreement with the EU on 18 September
- 29.08.2013 Ukrainian Prime Minister: Our partners must reckon with free trade area between Ukraine and EU as reality