Russia pushes EU to signing Association Agreement with Ukraine - Chaly
A decision about the Association Agreement between Ukraine and the EU will be political and Russia pushes to that. Deputy Director General of the Razumkov Center Valeriy Chaly told a press conference “Association with the EU: How does Ukraine fulfill the terms of the Agreement signing?” a Ukrinform correspondent reports.
“The European Union does not demand a 100 percent fulfillment of all criteria (on Association - Ed.), the EU says about decisive actions and noticeable progress, therefore, perhaps, a decision will be political,” Chaly has said, adding that “our expectations were more pessimistic against what we have now.”
At the same time, the expert said that before signing of the Association Agreement between Ukraine and the EU “there are the issues that remained.” In this context, he named the issue of Yulia Tymoshenko, without its solution, Chaly thinks, “we will hardly hope for the Agreement to come into force.” According to him, “the impression is that this issue has a chance to be solved, but it is not worth delaying with it until the last day.”
Chaly named “the serious adjustment of Brussels' position when there is the EU's more favorable and open line toward signing of the Agreement” as an important moment.
The expert expressed an opinion that not so the Ukrainian authorities, but Russia promoted this by its actions.
“Russia by certain pressure on Ukraine created such a background in Brussels today, which, on the one hand, causes anxiousness on the part of some countries, and on the other hand, pushes the EU to more openness as regards the Eastern Partnership,” Chaly said.
More on the topic
- 09.01.2014 Azarov orders Boiko to analyze outcome from creating FTA with EU
- 25.12.2013 Ukraine now in better conditions than before Vilnius summit – Kozhara
- 04.12.2013 CoE secretary general goes to Kyiv to find a way out of crisis
- 29.11.2013 Ukraine, EU initial Air Services Agreement
- 28.11.2013 Breakdown of Ukraine-EU association could benefit China – Forbes
- 27.11.2013 Azarov: President to discuss Ukraine-Russia-EU consultations in Vilnius
- 26.11.2013 Yanukovych plans to attend summit in Vilnius
- 22.11.2013 Ukrainian government suspends preparations for signature of association deal with EU
- 27.09.2013 Azarov proposes trilateral talks between EU, Ukraine and Customs Union on Association Agreement
- 18.09.2013 PM Azarov: Association Agreement provides for its periodic revision
- 05.09.2013 Ukrainian Cabinet to consider Association Agreement with the EU on 18 September
- 29.08.2013 Ukrainian Prime Minister: Our partners must reckon with free trade area between Ukraine and EU as reality