Azarov proposes trilateral talks between EU, Ukraine and Customs Union on Association Agreement
Ukrainian Prime Minister Mykola Azarov has proposed holding trilateral consultations between the EU, Ukraine and the Customs Union on the creation of a free trade area between Ukraine and the EU, which is envisaged by the Association Agreement.
He said at a government meeting on Thursday that he put forward such an initiative at a meeting of the Supreme Eurasian Economic Council in Astana on Wednesday.
"I officially invited the heads of the member states of the Eurasian Economic Community to hold trilateral consultations in the EU-Ukraine-Customs Union format. The European Commission supports this initiative. We are ready to respond to the concerns of our partners about the allegedly upcoming oversaturation of the Ukrainian market with European goods and the 'squeezing' of Ukrainian goods into the Customs Union. This will not happen," Azarov said.
In this regard, he said that there are reliable mechanisms tested in world trade that will make it impossible to re-export goods in the Customs Union (in particular, the mechanisms determining the country of origin).
According to the prime minister, representatives of the Customs Union countries were keenly interested in Astana in the European integration processes of Ukraine and the changes that will be brought by the introduction of the free trade area with the EU.
Adapted from Ukrinform
More on the topic
- 09.01.2014 Azarov orders Boiko to analyze outcome from creating FTA with EU
- 25.12.2013 Ukraine now in better conditions than before Vilnius summit – Kozhara
- 04.12.2013 CoE secretary general goes to Kyiv to find a way out of crisis
- 29.11.2013 Ukraine, EU initial Air Services Agreement
- 28.11.2013 Breakdown of Ukraine-EU association could benefit China – Forbes
- 27.11.2013 Azarov: President to discuss Ukraine-Russia-EU consultations in Vilnius
- 26.11.2013 Yanukovych plans to attend summit in Vilnius
- 22.11.2013 Ukrainian government suspends preparations for signature of association deal with EU
- 02.10.2013 Russia pushes EU to signing Association Agreement with Ukraine - Chaly
- 18.09.2013 PM Azarov: Association Agreement provides for its periodic revision
- 05.09.2013 Ukrainian Cabinet to consider Association Agreement with the EU on 18 September
- 29.08.2013 Ukrainian Prime Minister: Our partners must reckon with free trade area between Ukraine and EU as reality