Azarov: President to discuss Ukraine-Russia-EU consultations in Vilnius
Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych is planning to raise at the Eastern Partnership summit in Vilnius the question of the holding of consultations between Ukraine, Russia and the European Union on the signing by Kyiv of an Association Agreement with the EU.
Ukrainian Prime Minister Mykola Azarov said this in an interview with foreign media on Tuesday.
"I hope that our president will raise in Vilnius the question of the holding of such consultations," the press service of the Party of Regions quoted him as saying.
Azarov recalled that Ukraine had received a proposal from Russia on the holding of such consultations before the signing of the EU-Ukraine Association Agreement and that no ultimatums had been issued.
In his opinion, if such negotiations are conducted and if they are effective, then the question of the signing of the Association Agreement could be raised at the next Ukraine-EU summit, in the spring of 2014.
As reported, on November 21, the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine decided to suspend preparations for the signing of the Association Agreement with the European Union, pointing to possible negative consequences for the national economy.
The concerned ministries were instructed to resume dialog with Customs Union and CIS countries to intensify trade, whereas Russia and the EU were invited to set up a trilateral commission.
Adapted from ukrinform.ua
More on the topic
- 09.01.2014 Azarov orders Boiko to analyze outcome from creating FTA with EU
- 25.12.2013 Ukraine now in better conditions than before Vilnius summit – Kozhara
- 04.12.2013 CoE secretary general goes to Kyiv to find a way out of crisis
- 29.11.2013 Ukraine, EU initial Air Services Agreement
- 28.11.2013 Breakdown of Ukraine-EU association could benefit China – Forbes
- 26.11.2013 Yanukovych plans to attend summit in Vilnius
- 22.11.2013 Ukrainian government suspends preparations for signature of association deal with EU
- 02.10.2013 Russia pushes EU to signing Association Agreement with Ukraine - Chaly
- 27.09.2013 Azarov proposes trilateral talks between EU, Ukraine and Customs Union on Association Agreement
- 18.09.2013 PM Azarov: Association Agreement provides for its periodic revision
- 05.09.2013 Ukrainian Cabinet to consider Association Agreement with the EU on 18 September
- 29.08.2013 Ukrainian Prime Minister: Our partners must reckon with free trade area between Ukraine and EU as reality