Ukraine now in better conditions than before Vilnius summit – Kozhara
Ukraine is currently in more favorable conditions than it was before the summit in Vilnius and before its refusal to sign an Association Agreement with the EU.
Ukrainian Foreign Minister Leonid Kozhara said this at a press conference at Ukrinform on Tuesday.
"I again emphasize that Ukraine is now in much more favorable conditions than before the Vilnius summit... I don't understand why it's a failure. There would be a failure if Ukraine signed [the Association Agreement] in Vilnius," he said.
The foreign minister said that the refusal to sign the Association Agreement with the European Union had allowed Ukraine to conduct a dialogue with Russia.
"We received the positive results of these negotiations only a few weeks after [the summit in] Vilnius," he said.
In addition, the minister said, the negotiations on association with the EU are continuing. "Ukraine, in accordance with the joint declaration of the Vilnius summit, is holding negations to ensure the implementation of this agreement," he said.
Kozhara also said that economic conditions at the time of the Vilnius summit had not allowed Ukraine to sign the agreement with the EU. He said that one of the main reasons for Ukraine's refusal to sign the document was the position of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), which was ready to allocate money to Ukraine on the terms that are unacceptable to the country.
"I firmly believe that in terms of the external interests of the state we are currently in a better position than before [the summit] Vilnius. It's clear that there is the question of the internal political situation, but that's another question," he added.
More on the topic
- 09.01.2014 Azarov orders Boiko to analyze outcome from creating FTA with EU
- 04.12.2013 CoE secretary general goes to Kyiv to find a way out of crisis
- 29.11.2013 Ukraine, EU initial Air Services Agreement
- 28.11.2013 Breakdown of Ukraine-EU association could benefit China – Forbes
- 27.11.2013 Azarov: President to discuss Ukraine-Russia-EU consultations in Vilnius
- 26.11.2013 Yanukovych plans to attend summit in Vilnius
- 22.11.2013 Ukrainian government suspends preparations for signature of association deal with EU
- 02.10.2013 Russia pushes EU to signing Association Agreement with Ukraine - Chaly
- 27.09.2013 Azarov proposes trilateral talks between EU, Ukraine and Customs Union on Association Agreement
- 18.09.2013 PM Azarov: Association Agreement provides for its periodic revision
- 05.09.2013 Ukrainian Cabinet to consider Association Agreement with the EU on 18 September
- 29.08.2013 Ukrainian Prime Minister: Our partners must reckon with free trade area between Ukraine and EU as reality