SOCAR embarks on well drilling as part of creation of underground gas storage
The State Oil Company of Azerbaijan Republic (SOCAR) has started drilling the second appraisal well as a part of creation of an underground gas storage facility in the Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic, a source in SOCAR told Trend on Tuesday.
Drilling of appraisal wells on the basis of Nehram salt deposit is being carried out at the Tumbul site.
According to the interlocutor, drilling of the first exploration well was previously completed. The depth of this well exceeded 1200 meters, the source said. The design depth of the second well is 1,000 meters.
"Some 170 meters out of the designed 1,000 meters have been drilled so far," the source said.
According to him, the results of the appraisal drilling will be presented after the drilling of three wells at the site.
Previously it was decided to increase the design depth of the first appraisal well from 1,000 to 1,250 meters in order to study salt deposits in more details as part of creation of a new underground gas storage facility in the Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic.
Currently, Azerbaijan is carrying out swap deliveries of gas to Iran in order to provide Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic with gas. It was decided to create underground gas storage on the salt deposit's base to secure the sustainability of gas supplies to Nakhchivan Autonomus Republic.
The underground gas storage with 200-300 million cubic meters of capacity will be enough for meeting the Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic's needs.
Adapted from Today.az
More on the topic
- 15.01.2014 Azerbaijan suspends gas delivery to Russia
- 14.01.2014 Azerbaijan defines route for pumping additional oil volumes
- 09.01.2014 SOCAR Petrolium Georgia stopped importing oil products from Azerbaijan to Georgia
- 27.12.2013 Azerbaijani SOCAR, Dutch Fugro shake hands for JV
- 16.12.2013 Almost 95 percent of Azerbaijan’s export consists of oil and gas production
- 03.10.2013 SOCAR Turkey: Azerbaijani gas to be cheaper than Iranian or Russian
- 18.09.2013 SOCAR to purchase DESFA at the cost of state funds
- 03.09.2013 SOCAR dismantles platform in Bulla-Deniz field
- 20.08.2013 Azerbaijan, Russia in talks on reverse oil pumping via Baku-Novorossiysk pipeline
- 28.06.2013 Shah Deniz Consortium chooses TAP for Southern Gas Corridor
- 24.06.2013 Black Sea Trade and Development Bank approves loan for SOCAR