U.S. Ambassador to Georgia insists that laboratory in Tbilisi is not military
Created with help of US funding, the Richard Lugar Public Health Research Centre (the Central Referral Laboratory of Public Health) in Tbilisi is open and has no military purpose, U.S. Ambassador to Azerbaijan Richard Norland said today.
The head of Rospotrebnadzor ,Gennady Onishchenko, claimed earlier that the Microbiology Laboratory of the U.S. Navy, which is not under the control of the Georgian authorities, continues to work in Tbilisi. He also said that African swine fever, which caused a loss of livestock in Russian regions, came to Russia from Georgia. In response, the Special Envoy of the Prime Minister of Georgia for the normalization of relations with Russia, Zurab Abashidze, said he did not see a connection between the Georgian biological laboratories and African swine fever in Russia.
Adapted from Vestnik Kavkaza
More on the topic
- 23.12.2013 Restore of Tbilisi-Moscow ties not planned
- 20.12.2013 Vladimir Putin not rules out the abolition of the visa regime with Georgia
- 03.12.2013 PM: No Georgian govt delegation at Sochi Olympics
- 28.11.2013 Minister of Foreign Affairs not excludes new embargo from the Russian side
- 26.11.2013 Government cautions business regarding the Russian market
- 12.11.2013 Giorgi Margvelashvili : Georgia will participate in the Sochi Olympics
- 01.11.2013 Russian MTS responds to Bidzina Ivanishvili's statement
- 31.10.2013 Bidzina Ivanishvili says Georgian side will sue the Russian "MTS"
- 26.09.2013 Georgia’s Ministry of Economy denies participation in the Sochi Investment Forum
- 13.09.2013 Russia to restore road to Georgia across Dagestan
- 05.09.2013 Moscow offers help in evacuating Georgian citizens from Syria
- 16.08.2013 Automobile link between Russia and Georgia reinstated