PM: No Georgian govt delegation at Sochi Olympics
Georgian government delegation will not be attending the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games, PM Irakli Garibashvili said in an interview with Russian state-funded English-language news channel Russia Today.
He said only Georgian athletes and officials from the National Olympic Committee will be in the delegation.
In the same interview, Garibashvili said that there is “successful improvement” in bilateral trade ties, which he called, “technical relations”, referring to Russia’s decision to lift ban on import of Georgian products.
He, however, said placing fences by the Russian troops along the administrative boundary line of breakaway South Ossetia is “incomprehensible to us”. “This borderization process impedes the confidence-building process,” PM Garibashvili said.
Asked how Tbilisi plans to normalize its ties with Moscow while at the same time maintaining NATO aspiration, Garibashvili responded that it’s “a tough question.”
He said Tbilisi has to “succeed in convincing” Russia that Georgia’s aspiration “to join the European Union and NATO does not imply a threat against Russia.”
“This is our task. I understand that it will be difficult. But this is why dialogue is necessary,” Garibashvili said.
Speaking about conflicts in Georgia, the PM also said: “We have all made mistakes. Let us admit that we have all made mistakes in the early 1990s, for example. There is no way only one side can be spotless and unblemished.”
Adapted from Сivil.ge
More on the topic
- 23.12.2013 Restore of Tbilisi-Moscow ties not planned
- 20.12.2013 Vladimir Putin not rules out the abolition of the visa regime with Georgia
- 28.11.2013 Minister of Foreign Affairs not excludes new embargo from the Russian side
- 26.11.2013 Government cautions business regarding the Russian market
- 12.11.2013 Giorgi Margvelashvili : Georgia will participate in the Sochi Olympics
- 01.11.2013 Russian MTS responds to Bidzina Ivanishvili's statement
- 31.10.2013 Bidzina Ivanishvili says Georgian side will sue the Russian "MTS"
- 26.09.2013 Georgia’s Ministry of Economy denies participation in the Sochi Investment Forum
- 13.09.2013 Russia to restore road to Georgia across Dagestan
- 05.09.2013 Moscow offers help in evacuating Georgian citizens from Syria
- 16.08.2013 Automobile link between Russia and Georgia reinstated
- 08.08.2013 Georgian MFA: Despite Russia's 'Destructive Policy' Tbilisi Seeks 'Normalization' of Ties