Giorgi Margvelashvili : Georgia will participate in the Sochi Olympics
President-elect of Georgia Giorgi Margvelashvili gave an interview to Russian " First Channel ", in which he said that the country would take part in the Olympic Games, and the question regarding the participation of the government delegation is under consideration.
"We consider this question. This question is still open and is considered within our team. It might be a good start to reduce political tensions between Georgia and Russia. We, therefore, look to the Olympics with the expectation that this feeling of good will of sports will be a start for a new relationship , not only in Russia , but throughout the world. We start with a very problematic point, we start from the point when, unfortunately, very tragic events have happened. Now again, we will try not to cause pain to each other," says Margvelashvili .
According to him, it's time to take the first steps to reduce tensions.
"We’ll try to transfer a dialogue from aggressive to the sound track. Appropriate steps have been taken – negotiations began, which deal with economic, cultural, humanitarian, transport issues. Unfortunately we have to start from the point when many tragic events have happened," President-elect notes.
Margvelashvily also points out that Georgia's integration with Europe is consistent with the interests of Russia.
"The integration of Georgia and the association with Europe in our vision is the interest of Russia. A stable country in the south creates a real opportunity to deepen the relationship, for the stable development of the Russian Federation as well, which, incidentally, is also very active with Europe, which is actively developing the culture, the economy, its political relations with the European Union. We see only a plus for Russia in this aspect. So, I think the interests of Russia are taken into account as well," he said.
Adapted from commersant.ge
More on the topic
- 23.12.2013 Restore of Tbilisi-Moscow ties not planned
- 20.12.2013 Vladimir Putin not rules out the abolition of the visa regime with Georgia
- 03.12.2013 PM: No Georgian govt delegation at Sochi Olympics
- 28.11.2013 Minister of Foreign Affairs not excludes new embargo from the Russian side
- 26.11.2013 Government cautions business regarding the Russian market
- 01.11.2013 Russian MTS responds to Bidzina Ivanishvili's statement
- 31.10.2013 Bidzina Ivanishvili says Georgian side will sue the Russian "MTS"
- 26.09.2013 Georgia’s Ministry of Economy denies participation in the Sochi Investment Forum
- 13.09.2013 Russia to restore road to Georgia across Dagestan
- 05.09.2013 Moscow offers help in evacuating Georgian citizens from Syria
- 16.08.2013 Automobile link between Russia and Georgia reinstated
- 08.08.2013 Georgian MFA: Despite Russia's 'Destructive Policy' Tbilisi Seeks 'Normalization' of Ties