Automobile link between Russia and Georgia reinstated
Georgia and Russia have resumed international automobile communication. The decision was taken at a meeting of representatives of the Ministry of Transport of the Russian Federation and the Ministry of Economy and Sustainable Development of Georgia, which was held in Moscow on August 6-7, the Ministry of Economy of Georgia said Thursday.
The ministry said that the purpose of the visit was the resumption of international freight and passenger road traffic between countries according to the needs.
At the meeting, the Georgian side raised the issue of the need for simplification of the visa regime for Georgian drivers. From the Russian side, consent was obtained to ensure that this matter will be settled favorably in the near future.
At this stage, the parties have exchanged 500 permits for transport of goods in 2013, which will give the opportunity to Georgian carriers to transport cargo in the direction of Russia. In addition, the parties agreed to exchange permits for the transport of goods to a third country.
The meeting also agreed on the resumption of regular bus service between the cities of Russia and Georgia, which had been interrupted since 2006.
Adapted from Vestnik Kavkaza
More on the topic
- 23.12.2013 Restore of Tbilisi-Moscow ties not planned
- 20.12.2013 Vladimir Putin not rules out the abolition of the visa regime with Georgia
- 03.12.2013 PM: No Georgian govt delegation at Sochi Olympics
- 28.11.2013 Minister of Foreign Affairs not excludes new embargo from the Russian side
- 26.11.2013 Government cautions business regarding the Russian market
- 12.11.2013 Giorgi Margvelashvili : Georgia will participate in the Sochi Olympics
- 01.11.2013 Russian MTS responds to Bidzina Ivanishvili's statement
- 31.10.2013 Bidzina Ivanishvili says Georgian side will sue the Russian "MTS"
- 26.09.2013 Georgia’s Ministry of Economy denies participation in the Sochi Investment Forum
- 13.09.2013 Russia to restore road to Georgia across Dagestan
- 05.09.2013 Moscow offers help in evacuating Georgian citizens from Syria
- 08.08.2013 Georgian MFA: Despite Russia's 'Destructive Policy' Tbilisi Seeks 'Normalization' of Ties