Vladimir Putin not rules out the abolition of the visa regime with Georgia
The attitude towards the incumbent government of Georgia has changed though my attitude towards the Georgian people, as favorable as it was, remains the same, Russia’s president Vladimir Putin answered the question from a Rustavi 2 journalist.
As The Russia’s President stated, Russia and Georgia have a deep relationship – cultural and religious.
He says that the problems between the courtiers didn’t start because of Russia and everyone admitted that Russia didn’t start military activities.
We see the signals from the new government of Georgia. I don’t know what our Minister of Foreign Affairs meant, this may be issues related to the department. But such developments in Georgia, what we see now, I think may restore the visa free regime. I think it will be a very good step for normalizing Russian-Georgian relations, if we consider that this will help people in relations, the Georgian entrepreneurs working in the Russian market and in general, it would create conditions for the final normalization of our relations”, - Putin declared.
Rustavi 2 journalists asked the President what political steps Russia is ready to take to normalize relations with Georgia and whether his position towards Georgia changed after the transition of power. The journalist also reminded Putin of Russia’s foreign minister Sergey Lavrov’s statement, that Russia at this stage is not ready to abolish visa regime with Georgia.
Adapted from Сommersant
More on the topic
- 23.12.2013 Restore of Tbilisi-Moscow ties not planned
- 03.12.2013 PM: No Georgian govt delegation at Sochi Olympics
- 28.11.2013 Minister of Foreign Affairs not excludes new embargo from the Russian side
- 26.11.2013 Government cautions business regarding the Russian market
- 12.11.2013 Giorgi Margvelashvili : Georgia will participate in the Sochi Olympics
- 01.11.2013 Russian MTS responds to Bidzina Ivanishvili's statement
- 31.10.2013 Bidzina Ivanishvili says Georgian side will sue the Russian "MTS"
- 26.09.2013 Georgia’s Ministry of Economy denies participation in the Sochi Investment Forum
- 13.09.2013 Russia to restore road to Georgia across Dagestan
- 05.09.2013 Moscow offers help in evacuating Georgian citizens from Syria
- 16.08.2013 Automobile link between Russia and Georgia reinstated
- 08.08.2013 Georgian MFA: Despite Russia's 'Destructive Policy' Tbilisi Seeks 'Normalization' of Ties