Government cautions business regarding the Russian market
Businessmen interviewed by "Commersant" agree with the statement made by the Minister of Economic Development about the risks on the Russian market. Giorgi Kvirikshvili says that the Georgian business shouldn’t rely on the Russian market: after initialing of the agreement with the European Union there are theoretically economic risks from Russia, government warns a business that Russia is not the market on which it cannot rely 100%.
Wine Company "Schuchmann Wine Georgia" Director General explains that the association agreement with the EU will promote the development of winemaking. According to Nutsa Abramishvili, relations with the Russian market gave companies some experience and in the Russian embargo period "Schuchmann Wines " carried out diversification activities. In her words, each market should be treated with caution because there is a danger of potential risks. With regard to a possible pressure from Russia, “Schuchmann Wines” chief says risks are more long-term, because the association agreement takes a number of procedures and time.
According to "Tbilvino" Director, Western Europe is marked by a greater stability, a certain risk exists in the post-Soviet countries. Giorgi Margvelashvili notes that Ukraine, Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan are the countries where Georgian wine is more famous, but for some periods crises is observed in these markets as well. The businessman thinks that every company should consider the risks and develop a strategy. He adds, "Tbilvino " is trying not to become excessively dependent on Russian market and if before the embargo 50% fell on exports to Russia, today the figure is only 20 %.
More on the topic
- 23.12.2013 Restore of Tbilisi-Moscow ties not planned
- 20.12.2013 Vladimir Putin not rules out the abolition of the visa regime with Georgia
- 03.12.2013 PM: No Georgian govt delegation at Sochi Olympics
- 28.11.2013 Minister of Foreign Affairs not excludes new embargo from the Russian side
- 12.11.2013 Giorgi Margvelashvili : Georgia will participate in the Sochi Olympics
- 01.11.2013 Russian MTS responds to Bidzina Ivanishvili's statement
- 31.10.2013 Bidzina Ivanishvili says Georgian side will sue the Russian "MTS"
- 26.09.2013 Georgia’s Ministry of Economy denies participation in the Sochi Investment Forum
- 13.09.2013 Russia to restore road to Georgia across Dagestan
- 05.09.2013 Moscow offers help in evacuating Georgian citizens from Syria
- 16.08.2013 Automobile link between Russia and Georgia reinstated
- 08.08.2013 Georgian MFA: Despite Russia's 'Destructive Policy' Tbilisi Seeks 'Normalization' of Ties