Rospotrebnadzor: African swine fever came to Russia from Georgia
Russia's chief state sanitary doctor Gennady Onishchenko believes that African swine fever, which has caused a loss of livestock in Russian regions, came to Russia from Georgia.
"This is an objectively-established fact," Interfax quotes Onishchenko.
Onishchenko said that a microbiology laboratory of the U.S. Navy, not under the control of the Georgian authorities, continues to work in Georgia.
"The confirmation of the threat is the fact that from 2007 the pathogen of the African swine fever has been actively circulating on the territory of Russia. It has caused enormous economic damage to the southern regions of Russia," Gennady Onishchenko said, noting that the creation of the laboratory on the territory of Georgia required $350 million. "My concern is that the lab is beyond the control of the Georgian authorities. The laboratory has been established in the former Soviet military base near Tbilisi. The existence of this lab demonstrates the weakness of the current government of Georgia," the head of Rospotrebnadzor said.
"We have to spend money in order to assist our allies, South Ossetia and Abkhazia, to strengthen the capacity in real-life bio-security," Onishchenko said.
Adapted from Vestnik Kavkaza
More on the topic
- 23.12.2013 Restore of Tbilisi-Moscow ties not planned
- 20.12.2013 Vladimir Putin not rules out the abolition of the visa regime with Georgia
- 03.12.2013 PM: No Georgian govt delegation at Sochi Olympics
- 28.11.2013 Minister of Foreign Affairs not excludes new embargo from the Russian side
- 26.11.2013 Government cautions business regarding the Russian market
- 12.11.2013 Giorgi Margvelashvili : Georgia will participate in the Sochi Olympics
- 01.11.2013 Russian MTS responds to Bidzina Ivanishvili's statement
- 31.10.2013 Bidzina Ivanishvili says Georgian side will sue the Russian "MTS"
- 26.09.2013 Georgia’s Ministry of Economy denies participation in the Sochi Investment Forum
- 13.09.2013 Russia to restore road to Georgia across Dagestan
- 05.09.2013 Moscow offers help in evacuating Georgian citizens from Syria
- 16.08.2013 Automobile link between Russia and Georgia reinstated