Yevgeny Shevchuk willing to discuss free movement of citizens and transport issues with Iurie Leanca
The president of the breakaway Transnistrian republic, Yevgeny Shevchuk is going to tackle «the practical enforcement of some intentions meant to facilitate the crossing-border procedures for citizens and the settlement of transport-related issues» at the meeting with Moldovan Prime Minister Iurie Leanca, due in September. Transnistrian leader made this statement at a news conference on Thursday.
He also spoke about the opening of the bridge over the Dniester River, near the Gura-Bicului village, noting that this would ensure the free movement of Transnistrian residents, holders of Russian and Ukrainian passports, over the Moldo-Ukrainian border, which at present is practically closed for Transnistrian vehicles and citizens.
In his opinion, «these issues have not been solved yet, because of two main impediments: either there is no political will in this respect, or some influential actors are further trying to use international and economic levers of pressure, in order to gain some political concessions».
«I think this path will lead us to a dead-end. Contrary to this approach, we are advocating a bilateral cooperation in this respect, and a certain mutual understanding between our economies, which will bring about benefits to both sides. We will propose this approach to our partners from Chisinau. Of course, we are also waiting for some suggestions on the behalf of the Moldovan side», – said the Transnistrian leader.
He also said that it is necessary to discuss issues related to the railway connection between Moldova and Transnistria.
«We call on our partners, urging them to engage in a constructive cooperation on those aspects that are of topical importance for Transnistrian and Moldovan citizens, as well as for economic agents from both banks of the Dniester River. In my opinion, the settlement of these problems will create the needed prerequisites for discussing complex political problems, in the long run», – said Shevchuk.
As already reported by Infotag, the initiative to organize a meeting of Moldovan Prime Minister Iurie Leanca and of Transnistrian president Yevgeny Shevchuk was launched by Ukraine, which currently holds the Chairmanship of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe. Yevgeny Shevchuk has never met Iurie Leanca, who was appointed as Prime Minister on May 30, 2013. Yet, Shevchuk had held several meetings with Leanca’s predecessor in this post, former Prime Minister of Moldova, Vlad Filat.
Adapted from Infotag
More on the topic
- 12.11.2013 Premier Leanca believes Transnistrian problem will be solved before Moldova is accepted to EU
- 29.10.2013 Moldovan PM, Transnistrian leader to meet in Germany
- 14.10.2013 Moldovan parliament rules to set migration checkpoints on left bank of Dniester
- 02.09.2013 Brussels to host next round of five-plus-two talks in October 2013
- 19.07.2013 Moldova and Transnistria cooperate in organization of children’s summer leisure
- 18.07.2013 Chisinau, Tiraspol sign environmental protocol
- 16.07.2013 New round of 5+2 negotiations on Transnistrian conflict settlement starts in Vienna
- 11.07.2013 A facilitated frontier crossing regime will be introduced for Transnistrian citizens
- 10.07.2013 Ukrainian, Russian envoys on Transdniestrian settlement to visit Chisinau, Tiraspol
- 04.07.2013 OSCE Parliamentary Assembly adopts resolution on Transnistrian conflict settlement process
- 28.06.2013 Ukraine invites Transnistrian president and Moldovan Prime Minister for a meetingm
- 24.06.2013 Moldovan parliament’s statement on Transnistrian conflict settlement´s current situation