Ukraine to work out mechanisms for interaction with Customs Union under conditions of FTA with EU
Ukrainian Prime Minister Mykola Azarov has instructed three ministries and Deputy Prime Minister Yuriy Boiko to work out practical mechanisms for cooperation with the Customs Union under the conditions of a free trade area with the EU.
He gave a respective instruction at a government meeting on Wednesday, a Ukrinform correspondent reported.
"I instructed the Economic Development and Trade Ministry, the Revenues and Duties Ministry and the Foreign Affairs Ministry, chaired by Deputy Prime Minister Yuriy Boiko, to develop practical algorithms and mechanisms for cooperation with the Customs Union and subsequently with the Eurasian Economic Union, under the conditions of a free trade area between Ukraine and the EU. We will discuss these practical things with our Russian partners," Azarov said.
He said that during his working visit to Moscow on Monday, he discussed with Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev the issue of joint efforts that should be taken to develop mutually beneficial cooperation and increase trade turnover between Ukraine and Russia and other Customs Union countries.
The prime minister recalled that after the signing of the Association Agreement with the European Union, Ukraine will create a free trade area with the EU. "This should be seen as a reality. I have repeatedly insisted and am continuing to insist that these integration projects should not be opposed. Instead, it's necessary to work out the best ways of interaction," Azarov said.
The prime minister also added that Ukraine is ready, for the sake of mutually beneficial cooperation, to gradually join certain agreements that are in force in the Customs Union in order to optimize the trade regime.
Azarov also instructed Government Commissioner in the Board of the Eurasian Economic Commission Viktor Suslov, along with his Russian colleagues, to decide on and offer the government an action plan in this area.
More on the topic
- 19.12.2013 Russia to buy $15bln in Ukrainian bonds
- 18.12.2013 Putin: Russia could use defense capacities of Ukraine
- 18.12.2013 Putin: Moscow, Kyiv did not discuss Ukraine's accession to Customs Union
- 16.12.2013 Medvedev urges Ukraine to overcome "tectonic split"
- 29.11.2013 State Duma wants new strategic partnership deal between Russia, Ukraine
- 06.11.2013 Russian business sees benefits from Ukraine's association with EU
- 01.11.2013 Ukraine to demand introduction of transition period for making foreign passports to travel to Russia - MFA
- 16.10.2013 Russia suggests analyzing jointly all possible risks through signing the Association Agreement between Ukraine and EU
- 02.10.2013 Russia refuses Ukrainian wagons
- 27.09.2013 Ukraine, Russia will continue discussions on joint production of AN-124 Ruslan in October
- 10.09.2013 Russia refuses to use Ukrainian Nitka naval pilot training site
- 09.09.2013 WTO to help Ukraine settle disputes with Russia