Turkey's main battle tank ALTAY to be introduced
The prototype of Turkey's first indigenous main battle tank (MBT) ALTAY will be introduced on November 15.
The debut ceremony will be held at the contractor firm Otokar's facilities in Sakarya, northwestern province of Turkey with the attendance of Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
Named in honor of Army General Fahrettin Altay (1880-1974) who commanded the 5th Cavalry Corps in the final stage of the Turkish War of Independence, ALTAY's design and intellectual property rights will all belong to Turkey.
The ALTAY will be operated by a crew of four, including commander, gunner, loader and driver. It will use some technologies of the South Korean Hundai Rotem and have a 120-mm / L55 smoothbore gun.
Aselsan, the military electronics company of Turkey, will manufacture and integrate state-of-the-art Volkan-III modular fire control system, command, control and information systems while state-owned MKEK (Mechanical and Chemical Industries Corporation) agreed for the production and integration of a modified and licensed produced Rheinmetall 120 mm gun. Another state company Roketsan will design an indigenous armor.
The ALTAY is expected to volume-produce in 4 years.
The project was initiated with an agreement signed between Otokar and Undersecretariat for Defense Industries of the Republic of Turkey on March 2007, when the Defense Industries Executive Committee awarded a contract worth approximately $500 million to Otokar for the design, development and production of 4 prototypes of a national main battle tank.
Adapted from Worldbulletin
More on the topic
- 04.10.2013 Turkey's military secrets 'secret' for China
- 26.09.2013 Turkey builds scout drone
- 23.07.2013 Turkey completes testing of domestic Altay tank
- 23.07.2013 Turkey builds antimine robot
- 03.07.2013 Turkey signs UN Arms Trade Treaty
- 02.07.2013 Turkey increases investments in defense industry
- 30.04.2013 Turkey presents T-155 Firtina SP artillery mount
- 18.02.2013 NATO concludes missile deployment in Turkey
- 30.01.2013 Turkey is increasing production of weapons
- 22.01.2013 US is top importer of Turkish weapons
- 11.01.2013 Turkey will return Patriot missiles when tensions on Turkish-Syrian border are over
- 09.01.2013 German Patriot missiles arrive in Turkey