Turkey completes testing of domestic Altay tank
The testing of the first domestic Altay tank was carried out from June 3 to July 10 in Turkey, Sabah newspaper reported on Monday.
As a result of successful testing, it was concluded that, the tank completely meets the specified requirements and is ready for mass production.
The agreement on creation of Altay tank was signed in March 2007, between the Secretariat of Defence Industry (SSM) of Turkey's Defence Ministry and Turkish Otokar company.
After the testing it is expected to receive an order for the mass production of the first batch in the amount of 250 units. The expected price of one tank will be estimated at $5.5 million and the cost of the development project at $500 million.
In recent years the Turkish defence industry is focused on development and production of its own products. Turkey managed to hit the self-sufficiency level for 54 percent in the sphere of defence industry.
Adapted from Today.az
More on the topic
- 04.10.2013 Turkey's military secrets 'secret' for China
- 26.09.2013 Turkey builds scout drone
- 23.07.2013 Turkey builds antimine robot
- 03.07.2013 Turkey signs UN Arms Trade Treaty
- 02.07.2013 Turkey increases investments in defense industry
- 30.04.2013 Turkey presents T-155 Firtina SP artillery mount
- 18.02.2013 NATO concludes missile deployment in Turkey
- 30.01.2013 Turkey is increasing production of weapons
- 22.01.2013 US is top importer of Turkish weapons
- 11.01.2013 Turkey will return Patriot missiles when tensions on Turkish-Syrian border are over
- 09.01.2013 German Patriot missiles arrive in Turkey
- 28.12.2012 Germany to ship Patriots to Turkey on January 8