Russia unwilling to annul South Stream agreements
Russia is not willing to annul the agreements it has signed with six EU countries, including Bulgaria, on the construction of the South Stream gas pipeline.
Instead, Russia expects the European Commission to put forth proposals on the adaption of the inter-governmental agreements to the Third Energy Package, Russian Permanent Representative to the European Union Vladimir Chizhov has said.
Chizhov reminded that the six EU countries had earlier authorised the European Commission to conduct negotiations with Russia on South Stream on their behalf.
“European Commissioner [Gunther Oettinger] will be in Moscow on January 17 to attend a meeting of the Russia-EU Permanent Partnership Council. He will most likely say something,” Chizhov said at a briefing hosted by the European Policy Centre, according to ITAR-TASS.
In December, the European Commission came out with a statement that bilateral agreements signed between Russia and countries like Bulgaria regarding the pipe are in violation of EU's Third Energy Package.
The package is a set of measures to liberalize the energy market, which includes the requirement that the infrastructure owner be different from the provider, and that different suppliers have access to the pipes.
Adapted from Novinite
More on the topic
- 15.01.2014 EC launches probe of tender for Bulgarian section of South Stream
- 14.01.2014 11 companies to compete in Bulgaria’s South Stream tender
- 09.12.2013 EC: Flaws of South Stream agreements with Gazprom revealed in August
- 06.12.2013 European Commission sets up three coditions for ''illegal'' South Stream
- 05.11.2013 South Stream will not harm Bulgaria's environment – minister
- 04.11.2013 Bulgaria to receive South Stream dividends from Y1
- 01.11.2013 South Stream groundbreaking ceremony held in Bulgaria / Photos
- 07.10.2013 South Stream Transport B.V. shareholders confirm terms and conditions of South Stream’s offshore section construction
- 02.10.2013 Bulgaria renegotiates the 8% interest on the loan of "South Stream - Bulgaria"
- 09.09.2013 Varna locals rаlly against Russian-sponsored pipeline
- 06.09.2013 Board of directors of South Stream Bulgaria reshuffled
- 25.07.2013 Russia, Macedonia sign South Stream gas pipeline agreement