Ukraine hopes to get five billion cubic meters of shale gas in next five years
Ukraine hopes to receive five billion cubic meters of gas from shale deposits on its territory in the next five years.
Ukrainian Deputy Energy and Coal Industry Minister Serhiy Chekh told this to reporters in Paris on Tuesday, a Ukrinform correspondent reported.
"In the process of exploratory activity Ukraine, along with its partners, plans to reach the production of five billion cubic meters of gas in the next five years," he said.
Chekh also said that of the total volume currently consumed by Ukraine, 60% of gas is purchased and 40% is produced by the country.
In France, unlike in Ukraine, the issue of shale gas production is too politicized. Last Friday, the Constitutional Council of France confirmed the legitimacy of the law banning hydraulic fracturing to extract gas from shale deposits. After coming to power, incumbent French President Francois Hollande supported his political allies - the Greens, and introduced a ban on the use of hydraulic fracturing for the period of his five-year term of office.
After such a decision by the state leader 22 leading representatives of the French industry, trade unions and education wrote an open letter asking him to hold an open national debate on shale gas production with the participation of all stakeholders.
More on the topic
- 29.11.2013 Ukraine will sign gas contract with Slovakia next week – Stavytsky
- 14.11.2013 Ukraine triples gas supplies from Europe
- 06.11.2013 Ukraine will sign agreement on Skifska field development in November - Stavytsky
- 06.11.2013 Ukraine, Chevron sign hydrocarbon sharing agreement
- 05.11.2013 Ukraine, Croatia to sign memorandum on Adriatic Gas Corridor Nov. 5
- 04.11.2013 Ukraine plans to sign PSA with Eni and EDF on Black Sea shelf by 2014
- 30.10.2013 Ukraine reopens gas imports via Poland
- 28.10.2013 Ukraine to get gas along Adriatic corridor via Croatia, Hungary
- 04.10.2013 Ukraine invites Japan to participate in construction of LNG terminal
- 03.10.2013 Government plans to sign agreement with ExxonMobil in October
- 01.10.2013 Ukraine further cuts Russian gas consumption
- 25.09.2013 Chornomornaftogaz pumps 360 mcm of gas into storage facility