Turkish minister stresses "losing" EU without Turkey
Turkish Minister of Economy Zafer Caglayan said economic growth rate of Turkey was higher than that of many countries of European Union (EU), adding "Today, an European Union in which Turkey does not take part will be in a losing position", Anadolu Agency reported.
The minister attended the closing session of Turkey- Sweden Business Forum with Swedish Finance Minister Anders Borg which was held by Turkish and Swedish businessmen in Stockholm.
Speaking at the meeting, Caglayan mentioned about developments in Turkish economy.
The minister criticized the visa application of EU to Turkish businessmen, saying there was an inequity against Turkish citizens in visa applications.
In last four years, about five million people in EU lost their jobs and at the same period over six million people had jobs in Turkey. We should compare Turkey's economy with that of Europe, said the minister.
Caglayan called on the Swedish businessmen to launch investments in Turkey.
On the other hand, the Swedish Finance Minister praised Turkish economy giving examples of growth rates in Turkey.
The minister also added Sweden supported the membership of Turkey in the EU.
Adapted from Today.az
More on the topic
- 16.12.2013 Turkey and EU to ink visa and readmission agreements
- 05.12.2013 Turkey, EU to have crucial visa sitting this month
- 23.09.2013 Turkey may never become EU member: Minister
- 18.09.2013 Ukrainian government approves draft Association Agreement with EU
- 06.08.2013 Ergenekon arrests show democracy’s development in Turkey says minister
- 25.06.2013 Turkey's accession to get green light from EU ministers
- 19.06.2013 Turkey-EU ties may downgrade – ruling party
- 05.02.2013 Erdogan: Time to make a decision on EU bid
- 17.10.2012 Turkey accuses EU of hypocrisy