Turkey accuses EU of hypocrisy
Turkish Minister for Economy Zafer Caglayan called the European Union the most hypocritical organization of all time for making Turkey wait 50 years to be granted membership, Interfax reports.
The minister said that he laughed when the EU was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
Ankara started talks on joining the EU in 2005. French President Nicolas Sarkozy was the main obstacle on the path of Turkey to join the EU. The president said that a Muslim state could not become part of Europe and offered Turkey to become a special partner. Turkey declined the proposal.
Adapted from Vestnik Kavkaza
More on the topic
- 16.12.2013 Turkey and EU to ink visa and readmission agreements
- 05.12.2013 Turkey, EU to have crucial visa sitting this month
- 08.11.2013 Turkish minister stresses "losing" EU without Turkey
- 23.09.2013 Turkey may never become EU member: Minister
- 18.09.2013 Ukrainian government approves draft Association Agreement with EU
- 06.08.2013 Ergenekon arrests show democracy’s development in Turkey says minister
- 25.06.2013 Turkey's accession to get green light from EU ministers
- 19.06.2013 Turkey-EU ties may downgrade – ruling party
- 05.02.2013 Erdogan: Time to make a decision on EU bid