Bulgaria, Romania Schengen entry delay is political – President
Bulgaria sees the delay in admitting the country and fellow EU member Romania into the Schengen Area as politically motivated, stated Bulgaria's President Rosen Plevneliev.
Plevneliev spoke after meeting the President of EU newcomer Croatia Ivo Josipovic, who is on an official visit to Sofia Monday.
"It is evident to all concerned that Bulgaria and Romania are ready, that we are working on our borders effectively, and, as I would say, much better than some other countries," said the Bulgarian President.
"The European Commission has resolutely stated that Bulgaria and Romania are technically ready for Schengen," added he.
The Bulgarian President suggested that the delay is motivated by national politics in some EU member states.
"Schengen is not a matter of politics in one or another country. Big politics is the politics of common EU responsibility and solidarity," stressed the Bulgarian President.
"Bulgaria has acted responsibly, it has invested hundreds of millions and is effectively guarding its Schengen border. And so it should be expecting solidarity from the rest of Europe. Because we also suffer serious economic damage from this in-between position we are finding ourselves straddled with," said Plevneliev.
During their talks, the Bulgarian and Croatian Presidents discussed the EU perspective of other countries in the Western Balkans, as well as the furthering of economic and cultural relations between their two countries.
Adapted from novinite
More on the topic
- 03.12.2013 EC: Bulgaria and Romania are technically in Schengen
- 12.11.2013 EC President: Bulgaria, Romania will not join Schengen in Jan 2014
- 20.09.2013 France Uneasy About Bulgaria, Romania Schengen Membership
- 24.06.2013 Bulgaria and Romania to coordinate efforts for accession to Schengen
- 19.06.2013 Schengen bid of Bulgaria and Romania will not be a priority for Lithuania
- 17.06.2013 OECD expects 12 percent of Bulgarians to emigrate in 2014
- 19.04.2013 No solution of Bulgaria’s and Romania’s Schengen bid this year
- 07.03.2013 Holland demands two positive reports on Bulgaria and Romania to back up their Schengen bid
- 06.03.2013 New Schengen issue reaction: Romania will not ask for vote, will not seek deadlines anymore
- 15.02.2013 Netherlands soften position on Bulgaria’s joining Schengen area
- 13.02.2013 The Netherlands un-links verification mechanism reports to Romania’s Schengen admission
- 30.01.2013 Romania goes to Hague to talk about Schengen admission