EC: Bulgaria and Romania are technically in Schengen
Bulgaria and Romania are technically in Schengen like the other EU member states that have not explicitly demanded otherwise.
This was announced at a press conference by Michele Cercone, spokesperson of EU Commissioner of Home Affairs Cecilia Malmstrom, informed the Bulgarian news agency BTA.
The comment concerns the European Border Surveillance System (Eurosur) which enters into force on Monday and in which Bulgaria and Romania take part and are represented in the group of the Schengen states.
Cercone clarified that from a purely legal point of view, Bulgaria and Romania are part of Schengen, with the exception of the addendum to the intergovernmental agreement, which regulates the free of border control entrance of citizens of the two countries.
The European Border Surveillance System (Eurosur) aims at saving the lives of those who put themselves in danger to reach Europe's shores.
It will also seek to equip the EU and its Member States with better tools to prevent cross-border crimes, such as human trafficking or drug trafficking, while at the same time detect and provide assistance to small migrant boats in distress, in full compliance with European and international obligations, including the principle of non-refoulement.
Adapted from novinite.com
More on the topic
- 12.11.2013 EC President: Bulgaria, Romania will not join Schengen in Jan 2014
- 15.10.2013 Bulgaria, Romania Schengen entry delay is political – President
- 20.09.2013 France Uneasy About Bulgaria, Romania Schengen Membership
- 24.06.2013 Bulgaria and Romania to coordinate efforts for accession to Schengen
- 19.06.2013 Schengen bid of Bulgaria and Romania will not be a priority for Lithuania
- 17.06.2013 OECD expects 12 percent of Bulgarians to emigrate in 2014
- 19.04.2013 No solution of Bulgaria’s and Romania’s Schengen bid this year
- 07.03.2013 Holland demands two positive reports on Bulgaria and Romania to back up their Schengen bid
- 06.03.2013 New Schengen issue reaction: Romania will not ask for vote, will not seek deadlines anymore
- 15.02.2013 Netherlands soften position on Bulgaria’s joining Schengen area
- 13.02.2013 The Netherlands un-links verification mechanism reports to Romania’s Schengen admission
- 30.01.2013 Romania goes to Hague to talk about Schengen admission