Moldovan president off for official visit to Turkey
Moldovan President Nicolae Timofti left on Tuesday morning for a 2-day official visit to Turkey on the invitation of his Turkish colleague Abdullah Gul.
The head of state is being accompanied in this voyage by an official delegation that includes members of the Moldovan Parliament, presidential advisers, Minister of Culture Monica Babuc etc.
In Ankara, Nicolae Timofti will hold meetings with Turkish President Abdullah Gul, Prime Minister of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan, and Speaker of parliament – the Grand National Assembly of Turkey (aka the Meclis) Cemil Cicek.
The presidential press service has not provided details of the visit. Local analysts presume, however, that the parties may discuss inter alia the question of a visa-free regime between the two states. A corresponding agreement was signed between the two Governments yet in November 2012. The Moldovan Parliament ratified it yet in January 2013, having expressed hope then that Moldova citizens would be able to travel to Turkey without visas starting from May 2013. However, that hope has not come true yet because the document would not be ratified by Turkey till now. So Moldova tourists, most of whom prefer Turkish resorts, have to pay approximately 30 euros for an entry visa.
Infotag’s dossier: In 2013, trade turnover between the two countries has grown up substantially. Moldova’s exports to Turkey have gone up 2.5-fold in January-October marking US$112.2 million. And imports from Turkey dropped 2% – down to US$313 million. Turkey is the 5th biggest receiver of Moldovan exports, and the 6th biggest importer to Moldova.
Adapted from Infotag
More on the topic
- 19.12.2013 Moldova, Turkey to sign joint declaration on setting strategic partnership
- 07.11.2013 Moldova starts negotiating social security agreement with Turkey
- 03.07.2013 Turkish doctors visit Moldova’s Gagauz autonomy
- 24.01.2013 Moldovan cabinet approves draft law on visa free regime with Turkey
- 05.11.2012 Premier Filat calls on Turkish businessmen to invest in Moldova
- 11.10.2012 Moldovan-Turkish trade and investment forum held in Chisinau
- 10.10.2012 Moldovan PM sees Turkey as strategic partner