Ukraine passes BSEC presidency to Armenia
The Minister of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine, Leonid Kozhara, has handed over to his Armenian counterpart Edward Nalbandian the presidency of the Organization of Black Sea Economic Cooperation.
The ceremony took place in Odesa on June 21, during the 28th meeting of the BSEC Council of Ministers of Foreign Affairs.
"I believe that the traditions of mutually beneficial cooperation in the BSEC will continue," Leonid Kozhara said.
Armenia officially begins its six-month presidency of the organization on July 1. Armenian Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandian said he would make efforts for the development of the BSEC, and pay special attention to cooperation in the fields of economy, information and communication technologies, science, tourism and disaster management.
During the meeting, the council members noted the successful role of Ukraine during the presidency of the organization.
Leonid Kozhara said that the main focus of the BSEC activities during Ukraine's presidency was on the development of international trade and transport. During this period, a number of high-level events were held, in particular, a meeting of BSEC economy ministers in Yalta on May 23, 2013, and a meeting of transport ministers of the organization in Odesa on May 29, 2013.
Ukraine's efforts during its presidency, according to Kozhara, were aimed at the adoption of BSEC decisions on matters relating to the development of multilateral economic cooperation in the Black Sea region, implementation of projects and programs of regional significance; increasing efforts to establish BSEC free trade area, strengthening dialogue with the EU and its member countries at the political level, and implementation of the existing agreements between BSEC and EU countries, the development co-operation with other international organizations.
Adapted from UKRINFORM
More on the topic
- 17.12.2013 The 42nd PABSEC General Assembly, Tbilisi, 17-19 December 2013
- 16.07.2013 Ukraine comes out with a package of initiatives on cruise tourism, single brand, and municipal assembly of the Black Sea at PABSEC General Assembly
- 26.06.2013 New BSTDB Facility to Support Small Business Development in Azerbaijan
- 24.06.2013 The Forty-First PABSEC General Assembly in Sofia
- 21.06.2013 28th Meeting Of The BSEC Council Of Ministers Of Foreign Affairs - Odessa, 21 June 2013
- 07.03.2013 The 2nd International Black Sea Tourism Forum and the Meeting of the BSEC Working Group on Cooperation in Tourism (Yalta, Ukraine, 27-28 February 2013)