Turkey to extend mandate for cross-border operations against PKK
The Turkish government addressed to the parliament for extension of the mandate on cross-border operations against militants of the terrorist Kurdistan Workers’ Party, Trend cites Sabah.
The term of the previous mandate runs out on October 17th. The new mandate seems to be given for a year. The mandate for cross-border operations includes the territory of northern Iraq.
In 2011-2012 Turkey has many times conducted air and land operation along the Iraqi border. The Turkish authorities decided to start military campaign in North Iraq was caused by frequent offensives by PKK in Turkey itself.
Adapted from Vestnik Kavkaza
More on the topic
- 11.03.2013 PKK to free a dozen Turkish soldiers
- 31.01.2013 PKK militants to leave Turkey in late March
- 15.01.2013 Turkish security forces kill a leader of the PKK
- 09.11.2012 Turkey' s anti-PKK ground operation into Northern Iraq
- 29.10.2012 Kurdish militants attack police station in Turkey
- 08.10.2012 Blast breaks Iranian-Turkish gas pipeline