Human Rights Abuses in Russian-Occupied Crimea
This report was written and published by Andrii Klymenko in accordance with the Atlantic Council and Freedom House and presented by the author in Washington, DC in March, 2015.
This report is part of the Atlantic Council’s Ukraine in Europe Initiative. The Initiative also includes the Ukrainian World Congress, the Smith Richardson Foundation, the George Chopivsky Foundation, Chevron USA, US State Department, and the Espirito Santo Financial Group.
The report is not a complete account of the many human rights violations in Crimea, but it makes clear that physical harassment, criminal prosecution, and forced emigration of potentially “disloyal” groups is part and parcel of Russia’s control strategy for the peninsula.
|Human Rights Abuses in Russian-Occupied Crimea||4|
|Changing the Guard, Replacing the Population||6|
|Restricting Communication and Media: An "Information Ghetto"||8|
|Targeting Annexation Critics and "Disloyal" Groups||10|
|Appendix: Timeline of the Annexation||19|
|The Crimean Library section on the blackseanews.net website has been created with the support of the European Program of the International Renaissance Foundation. The views of the authors do not necessarily reflect the position of the International Renaissance Foundation|
More on the topic
- 26.08.2021 Threats to the National Maritime Security of Ukraine, Arising From Some Agreements and Formats of Cooperation With the Participation of the Russian Federation
- 24.12.2020 The Socio-Economic Situation in Occupied Crimea in 2014 – 2020. Third Edition
- 27.09.2020 The Legal Aspects of Hydrocarbon Production in Accordance with the Product Sharing Agreements Within Ukraine’s Exclusive Economic Zone
- 27.09.2020 On the Establishment of the Area Temporarily Prohibited for Navigation in the Occupied Ukrainian Territorial Sea Adjacent to the Crimean Peninsula
- 02.04.2020 The Real Impact of Crimean Sanctions. 2nd Edition
- 21.12.2018 The Militarization of Crimea as a Pan-European Threat
- 21.12.2018 The Gray Zone. Crimea: Four Years of Occupation
- 21.12.2018 The Real Impact of Crimean Sanctions
- 21.12.2018 The Kerch Bridge and the Spread of the RF Aggression to the Sea of Azov
- 20.12.2018 The Black Sea Threat and NATO Response
- 13.07.2018 «The Gray Zone». The Occupied Crimea: Sanctions Violations in 2017. The Monitoring Results