Moldova ranks 83rd among 178 countries in the failed states index 2013
Moldova ranks 83rd among 178 countries in the annual Failed States Index of the United States think-tank Fund for Peace.
Common indicators include a state whose central government is so weak or ineffective that it has little practical control over much of its territory; non-provision of public services; widespread corruption and criminality; refugees and involuntary movement of populations; sharp economic decline. Countries are divided into several categories marked by different colors: red – alert; orange –warning, yellow – stable and green – sustainable.
Just as the majority of the former USSR states, the Republic of Moldova has been placed in the orange zone. Yet, Moldova has recorded better scores than Turkmenistan and Belarus (81st position), the Russian Federation (80th position), Azerbaijan (76th position), Georgia (55th), Tajikistan (51st), Kirgizia (48th) and Uzbekistan (44th).
Moldova’s neighbors – Ukraine and Romania, have also attained better performances, ranking 117th and 130th, respectively.
The report uses 12 factors to determine the rating for each nation including security threats, economic implosion, human rights violations and refugee flows.
As many as 14 countries have been included in the green area, of which 11 are European states. The most stable countries are Finland (177th position) and Sweden (178th), whereas the most unstable are: Somali, Congo, Sudan, Chad, Yemen, Afghanistan and Haiti.
Adapted from infotag
More on the topic
- 09.12.2013 Moldova goes up four positions on Forbes top of best countries for business
- 20.09.2013 Moldova moves up six positions in world top of free economies
- 18.09.2013 Bulgaria ranks 22th in Europe in terms of economic freedom
- 13.09.2013 Bulgaria is at the level of Ghana in property protection
- 11.09.2013 UN: Bulgarians are less happy than Afghans
- 28.08.2013 Bulgaria - 65th biggest exporter globally
- 29.07.2013 "Turkey rate rise shows responsiveness, risks remain": Fitch Ratings
- 17.07.2013 Moldova has largest number of ATMs of 29 states in Europe and Central Asia
- 15.07.2013 Fitch Affirms Bulgaria at 'BBB-', Outlook Stable
- 26.06.2013 Chisinau remains cheapest city for foreigners to live in – ECA International survey
- 19.06.2013 Moldova ranks 74th in Global Peace Index top